Sex trafficking of children and youth is a growing concern nationally and in Wisconsin. Sex trafficking of minors has been identified, investigated and charged in most, if not all, counties within Wisconsin. It is both an urban and rural issue.
Via 2015 Wisconsin Act 367, Wisconsin aligned its response to child sex trafficking with the federal legislation and requirements found in the federal Preventing Sex Trafficking and Strengthening Families Act of 2014 (PL 113-83) and the Justice for Victims of Trafficking Act (PL 144-22).
This course is designed to provide crucial information to child welfare workers to support the identification of and responses to instances of child sex trafficking. In these six modules, you will learn about the:
- Scope of child sex trafficking
- Dynamics of child sex trafficking
- Factors that increase a youth’s vulnerability to child sex trafficking
- Indicators that a child has been sex trafficked
- The experience of leaving sex trafficking
- The impact of the legislative requirements on Wisconsin child welfare systems and processes
Note: This course was developed for county and tribal child welfare staff. If you are a professional who comes into contact with children and youth but do not work in county or tribal child welfare services, you will complete the Human Trafficking 101 course. Foster parents and other caregivers will complete the Caregiver course.
Which Understanding Child Sex Trafficking in Wisconsin online course should I complete?
- CPS Access and Initial Assessment county staff and supervisors must participate in this web-based course per DSP Numbered Memo Series 2017-07 and should therefore complete it in PDS Online
- It is highly recommended for other county agency staff and supervisors, particularly staff and supervisors working with the Youth Justice population, to complete this course. If you complete the course within PDS Online, it will be documented on your PDS Online transcript.
- NOTE: If you work in a non-county agency and are not responsible for the CPS response, the Wisconsin Anti-Human Trafficking Program is in the process of developing a web-based course that will better meet your needs. Please check out their website for information on the training available for you.
- To complete the online course in PDS Online, log into your PDS Online account and search for “Understanding Child Sex Trafficking in Wisconsin”.
- This course is intended only for county staff. If you work in a county, do not have a PDS Online account and do not need one, complete the course by accessing the modules on this page.
- If you work in a non-county agency and are not responsible for the CPS response, the Wisconsin Anti-Human Trafficking Program is in the process of developing a web-based course that will better meet your needs. Please check out their website for information on the training available for you.