Foundation training, standardized across the state, focuses on skill development for child welfare workers and provides consistency and equity in the application of best practice in all seventy-two Wisconsin counties.
All new Child Protective Services caseworkers with job functions in the areas of Access
/ CPS Intake, Initial Assessment, and Ongoing must complete fifteen days of training in
key areas of CPS practice within the first two years of employment in child protective
Required Foundation Training Sessions:
The following foundation training sessions are required:
Menu Option Foundation Training Sessions:
- Safety in Child Protective Services (two days)
- Engaging to Build Trusting Relationships (two days) - revised training
- A three-day training through June 30, 2016
- A two-day training beginning July 1, 2016
- Supporting Change Through Engagement* (two days) - new training
- If a worker completed the three-day Engaging to Build Trusting Relationships training prior to June 30, 2016, the worker should NOT register for and attend the Supporting Change Through Engagement training session;
- If the worker is registering for an Engaging to Build trusting Relationships session that is offered after July 1, 2016, then the worker also needs to register for and complete Supporting Change Through Engagement training
- Case Practice with American Indian Tribes (two days)
- Placement (two days) - new training; replaces the three-day Separation, Placement and Permanence training
The following foundation sessions are menu options to complete the additional required days of training:
*Note: these training sessions have pre-requisites that are explained in each training description in PDS Online.
For those who need Foundation to complete their DCF requirements, you MUST register through PDS Online. Click the registration link below to go to the PDS Online directions web page. Note: Opnce you are logged into PDS Online, you will need to search and register for the trainings.
You can view a PDF document of the Annual Worker Foundation Training Schedule by clicking here.
Click here to Register
Online Training Directions:
The documentation of the following online course completions (i.e. Legal Affairs) on PDS Online is in the revision process. Stop back here for updates. In the meantime, you can view the trainings, by clicking on the links below.
*Note: If you do not need to document completion of the web-based Legal Affairs Foundation training to meet DCF training requirements, then click the Legal Affairs training link below to access the web-based training.